A Day at Philips Island

Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Grandmother

Just came back from the nursing home. Your great grandma is in critical condition. My beloved grandma. Feel so sad when I saw her. I held her hands for some time and talked to her. Though she is unconscious, I know she knows I was there.

I want you to know our story.

She is the only grandmother I know in my life. We have been very closed. She stayed with us all her life till last year we put her in a nursing home so that she can get better care. She took care of your auntie Carol and me since young. She has always been a loving granny to us. She is the traditonal lady who has slogged her life for her family and very submissive to her husband. And she pampers her sons like all old ladies their generation did. The only vibe or recreation for her is her love for majong and cards (not poker cards but the old tradional chinese cards).

Nevertheless, after so many years of brain stimulation from the games, she is still not spared from getting dysmential at old age.

I remembered when she was placed in a rehab home 5 years ago for 2 weeks after she fell and broke her leg. I visited her everyday without fail. She told everyone at the home that I was her best grandchild and she knows I love her alot. I am so happy to hear that . I was always with her for all hospital visits and I will take her for outings at the beach and for lunches.

But I am feeling really guilty because I have not been spending alot of time with her for the recent two years. Too much has happened for the last 2 years. It has been a roller coaster 2 years for me. And it has been more downs than ups . The only sunshine is you. You are the only good thing that had happened to me since 2007 Sept.

However, she was getting older and weaker by the day. Her dsymential was worsening although she still recognises us. Til recently, the illness has gotten to the last stage and she is refusing food totally. The doctors had told us to be mentally prepared and make the decision. We have decided to let nature take its course. We will never be ready to let her go. It is a painful decision that has to be made.

Her name is Tew Juat Go. My Grandmother.

I wish you have a chance to know her.