A Day at Philips Island

Friday, July 24, 2009

Too much is No good

Last week, you started having mild diarrhea. You used to go like once a day around noon and rarely 2 times a day. But then last weekend, the frequency increased and the stool is soft and at times loose. At the same time, you had these little bumps on your tummy. I was getting concerned but monitored a few more days and watched your diet closely.

Then we decided to bring you to see Dr Terence Tan on last Tuesday. As much as I like Dr Tan very much, I hate to go and see him. He is too popular and the queue to see him is unbelievable. We reached the clinic about 1145hrs, hoping to be the last one before they closed for morning session. But we only managed to see him at about 1420hrs.

Anyway, you are not going to believe this. He took one glance at your tummy and said that the rash was caused by the 'chinese Ruyi' medicated oil we applied on you... ehh but you started using the oil since birth. He said some babies reacted slower. ok...

Then we told him about your dierrhea. After listening, he announced with a big smile that you have had too much nutritious food- too much fibre in your diet. WHAT?????? ok ok I admit that I have been pumping you with loads of greens. Your daily porridge is cook with vegetable+ meatbone stock (ingredients- leek/ sweet potatoes/ cabbage/ carrots/ parsnip +meatbone)

In addition to that, I make sure you have 1 main (fish/chicken/beef/ pork) and 2 side dishes (zuichinni/tomatoes/ broccoli/ cauliflower/pumpkin/peas/corn/spinach/ french beans/kailan....) per meal. ANd of course you will have your daily fruit- apple/ peach/ nectarine/ pear/ mango/papaya/banana.....

Dr Tan advised me to reduce the fibre intake. So I stopped using the vegetable stock for a few days and cut down on your vegetable. I concentrated on your protein and iron intake instead- eggs/ tofu/lentils/ beef/ liver. Your porridge for the last 5 days looked plain and bland. But thank goodness you did not fuss over it.

But you were still having loose stools so I called Dr Tan whom advised me to go for a stool test. So on Tuesday I took your soiled diaper to the clinic for the lab test consisting of Rotavirus, stool culture and stool Feme. The results came back fine and I was so relieved!!!!

You are better now. Soiling your diapers only twice or thrice a day. I have to be really careful now. I guess too much is really no good.

No comments:

Post a Comment